Thursday, March 6, 2014

Bad Words

I was just thinking about how when you're a new believer you really don't understand all the Christian norms or Christian speak. This morning I noticed that Patches had a dog bowl out that we had given to him for Christmas one year. On the inside of it it reads "lucky dog". I remember hesitating to buy it because the word lucky in Christianese is a bad word.
When I was a new  believer in Christ, I recall hearing someone say "No you are not lucky you are blessed". And I felt bad that I had used the word lucky and filed it away in my brain not to say that word again. Now I don't know if it's wrong or right to say lucky,I think it's actually more of a heart issue. But over the years, I think it's been about 10 years now I've been a believer, I have also corrected people in such tones.  'You aren't lucky, you're blessed. You should pray rather than worry.' The list goes on and on.
But really what is the point to say these things off the cuff to people? If we feel convicted about our speech, change it. Do we really sense the Lord giving us a peace about saying all these judgemental, unbiblical cliché s to people?
Something to ponder.
And if you ever met Patches, you would agree he is one Lucky Dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment