Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Obsessed Much

Every morning around 6:30 a little birdie comes up to me and whispers in my ear "Mickey Mouse."
I have gone back and forth for the last 4 years I have been a parent on the whole tv thing. It's bad, it's good, it's what you watch, it's how much you watch.
I just go back to the word.....

All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not. 1 cor 10.23

So we let them watch shows we have seen, on Demand(without commercials), and in the morning, or if I really really need to shower.
I am far from perfect and we have had some slip ups.
Like I let Sinclair watch Soul Surfer with me, I don't think she will ever go in the ocean now.

Any who, my point, yes I do have one.
Is that by my girls watching these same on Demand shows every morning they have found their favorites.
Sinclair loves The Bearenstien Bears(sp), and Rie loves Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.
Rie is a freak for Mickey. So much so that she now believes she is Minnie Mouse.
Sinclair was Minnie for Halloween last year, and for the last 2 weeks Rie has worn that silly costume every waking minute of our at home life.
And the other day she told me "I not Rie Rie, I Minnie!"

Here is the evidence........










What are your TV rules?

Peace in Jesus,
Summur

5 comments:

  1. Berenstain Bears.

    Kailyn is allowed to pick one episode on Netflix while Lane naps. It's about 30-45 minutes and it is her quite time so I actually get some too. Of course then there was yesterday when I was sick and it was a free for all movie day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's just too cute for words Summur! I love her obsession with Minnie Mouse...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahhh....rules. we have none.

    yeah right.

    i've never ever set a "time limit" rule for tv watching. some days they watch more than others. over the past two months it's been a WHOLE LOT more than ever before. i attribute it to boredom. having a baby in the house means we stay closer to home for naps and it was so stinkin' hot out that they would quickly get bored inside. my hubby signed up for Netflix when we got back from our trip so now there's millions of choices.

    i don't know how i feel about it. there are some things we shouldn't have let them watch--hindsight being 20/20, of course. but, most of what they see is just fun and i try to make sure at least half is "educational" of some sort (PBS is great for that).

    my kids love to still play with their toys, read books, play outside (when it isn't blazing hot), do crafts, make up science experiments, etc. so, i'm okay with it.

    this season is a "lots of tv" season for us. the baby will be bigger soon, require only one nap a day and less of my direct time, and next summer i imagine we'll spend most of our time at the pool.

    not to mention, my girls have been sick for the last 3 days and i have been very grateful for the instant entertainment streaming into our home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Look at all her hair! ;) She was really just a baby when you left Mo town!
    We let the kids watch Smurfs and Scooby Doo... but not most of what's on the Disney channel anymore... should just cancel cable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is no tv in our house. Just the occasional parent approved movie. My first year homeschooling though, Squirt watched a LOT of television. All educational though of course ;o)! Once I started teaching all four, tv was officially banned. Now no one ever asks about it. It doesn't mean that I don't think other families should not watch tv either. It's a case of what works best for them. If I knew all three little would park their butts in front of the tv and not move for an hour or two on a sleeping in morning, I would be all for am television. If only to get a few more zzzzz's!

    Blessings!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete