Thursday, May 5, 2011

Are You A Chocolate Lover?


I am!
But today I pledged to not consume chocolate unless I know it is fairtrade, without the use of slave labor.
I have been hearing things about the Ivory Coast and Hersheys, and many other chocolate companys that sell cheap chocolate. But I never knew what was going on. This morning when I was reading my bible I just felt the need to google it.
Here is just a little of what I found.............




"Slave traders are trafficking boys ranging from the age of 12 to 16 from their home countries and are selling them to cocoa farmers in Cote d'Ivoire. They work on small farms across the country, harvesting the cocoa beans day and night, under inhumane conditions. Most of the boys come from neighboring Mali, where agents hang around bus stations looking for children that are alone or are begging for food. They lure the kids to travel to Cote d'Ivoire with them, and then the traffickers sell the children to farmers in need of cheap labor (Raghavan, "Lured...").

The horrendous conditions under which children must toil on the cocoa farms of the Cote d'Ivoire are even more jarring when the facts are juxtaposed with the idea that much of this cocoa will ultimately end up producing something that most people associate with happiness and pleasure: chocolate. The connection serves to illustrate that the existence of misery in one part of the world and joy in another part are no longer divorced as nations are connected together in a globalized web of trade. Thus, the pleasure that people from various nations around the world are deriving from these chocolate confections could possibly be at the expense of child slaves in Africa. The problem of child slavery then is not simply a faraway abstraction with no immediate implications for anybody else except those who are directly affected, but rather it is an issue that everybody around the world should be concerned about and demand action to eradicate."




When we would study US slavery in history class, I always thought I would be one to have an underground railroad. I would have stood up for the people who were oppressed.
Slavery never went away, it is stolen little boys on farms around the world and stolen little girls in whore houses.
Here is something I can do, I can say no I will not contribute to this.
Join with me, do not let the enemy tell you what you can do is too little!

Here is a list of fairtrade chocolate companies.

Blessed are those who maintain justice, who constantly do what is right!
psalm 106. 3

PEACE IN JESUS,
Summur

5 comments:

  1. Wow! I never knew. I do not buy Hersheys anyway. Do the European chocolates use slave labor also?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has to say fairtrade on the package to insure that they do not buy from the Ivory Coast. Crazy that we contribute to slavery in many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Summur, is there a list of the companies that are not involved in fairtrade? I don't eat much chocolate, but when I do buy some, I would like to know that I'm not contributing to a company that would allow such horrible practices!! Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alicia, I added a link to the post. But some at like Trader joes may say on it "Fairtrade" :O)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to know where I can find fairtrade chocolate chips in Canada. We go through a lot of chocolate chips and I feel guilty every time I use them. May I link your post on my blog in a future post? We had a fairtrade Sunday at church a couple of weeks ago, and I'm still mulling how to blog about it without sounding too soap boxy.

    Blessings!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete