Saturday, August 7, 2010

SUNDAY FAVORITES

The sweet Chari from Happy To Design hosts Sunday Favorites.
A great time to post one of your favorite posts!
I am in the mood for some spaghetti squash so I thought I would share some with you..........

taken from 1/8/10



We have squash with dinner at least twice a week.
So when I talk about all the different squashes I like with my friends, exciting conversationalist that I am:), I am amazed when the have no clue what I am talking about.
Here you go Missy.
You will make it and LOVE it!
Yes I have a freaky obsession with squash and I want you to ,too.
FYI this cooking method works with any of the round squashes.

You pick a beautiful yellow spaghetti squash.
Then you chop it in half length wise.
This is easy, or hard, depending on your knife quality.
Mine is poor so I split one side in 2, oh well it still works people.
Next you haul out the seeds using a regular old soup spoon, maybe not your finest silver.
I pour about a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil in both halves.
Season to your liking. I like plain old salt and pepper.
Sometimes I add garlic for some added spice in my life.
Allow the olive oil to soak in for a good few minutes.
Roll the oil around inside to fully cover inside of squash, and set squash facing down.
Bake in a 350 oven for about 45 minutes, or until you grab one of those suckers with some tongs and it collapses under the pressure.....at least that is how I check it.
Now here is where the spaghetti part comes in to play.
After the squash is ready to be handled, give it a good 5 minutes, put a fork in it and start shredding.
This step is very easy if it is cooked enough.
It should just come out looking like spaghetti noodles, hence the name people:)Ha!
Here is the finished product.
I like to use this as a veggie when I am making Italian food.
Then you can drizzle some meat sauce over it and add some parm, it is delicious.

Summur

13 comments:

  1. We've been meaning to try this...it looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm, I remember this post when you first posted it! And I loved it then and said I would try it and I gotta be honest Summur, I haven't :0(

    But I will try it this winter, right now it's too hot to turn on the oven. Welcome to Sunday Favorites. This is one of my favorite meme's! Chari is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh babe . . . what am I going to do without you! I love you so much! You're such an amazing person & an even more amazing sister! Thanks for posting this, I will try it soon!
    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Summur...

    It's so nice to see you for Sunday Favorites this week, my sweet friend! Ohhh...I love spagetti squash but it's been a very long time since I've had it! I have never cooked it myself...my mother served it once in awhile! Thanks so much for sharing your special recipe with us today for Sunday Favorites...I'm gonna have to give it a try!!!

    Have a super Sunday, sweet lady!
    Chari @Happy To Design

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made some once years ago - - - it was fun to do, and so pretty. But we were disappointed by the TASTE of it when we put the sauce over it. We MISSED actual pasta.

    I've never tried it again - - - mayhaps it is time I do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! that look delicious.
    worth a try. Thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum. My parents are addicted to spaghetti squash as well. Every time we are at their house, they say, "have you ever tried spaghetti squash?" umm,yeah, the last time we were here. LOL. Sounds like you love it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great! I'm going to try it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Omgoodness...good for you having squash so much. I wish my whole family would eat it. maybe I should try it like you prepare it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum!! I can hardly wait to find spaghetti sauce in season in the stores again!

    Blessings!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for this. Honestly, I've just never had a clue what to do with a squash! I grated some up with a zucchini the other day and made bread...that's about it! I'll be bookmarking this page and giving it a try!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am definitely trying it this fall. I have been meaning to make it for a while. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks yummy and fun! Gonna have to try it!

    ReplyDelete