Monday, February 1, 2010

Straight Up Beans Baby!

Yesterday I tackled homemade beans. I am trying to make most of everything we eat, so if we want Mexican food I will attempt it:).I used this recipe but I will give you a quick over view. They are really easy to make, they just take awhile!

You buy a bag of pinto beans. Most have a recipe on the bag. I found mine in the Mexican food section so they were in Spanish.
First you sort the beans. Pour them onto a flat surface and weed out any rocks.
Then you soak them over night with at least 3 inches of water over the top of them.
Drain the beans. Add onion or garlic. This is important to get a good flavor. The recipe recommends adding the salt in the last 5 minutes otherwise the beans will not get as soft as you need them to.
Bring to a boil. And let simmer, covered, on low for 4 hours.
When they are soft serve warm, or hot. I went ahead and fried them with a little Conola oil and mashed them for re-fried beans. To taste like the really good re-fried beans I would of had to add a lot more oil, but it was healthier the way I did it.
Tackle It Tuesday at 5MinutesFor Mom!

12 comments:

  1. This is one of my Hubs favorite things to make. I am trying to get into the habit of soaking some beans before going to bed a couple of times a week to make soup or whatever. It's a great money saver and a good healthy things to add to our meals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never cooked beans before - the whole new-things-are-scary-in-the-kitchen thing...

    But you have given me courage!! I will definitely have to try this now! :) Thank you for sharing the step by step pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never refried them thanks for this great idea

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought the first picture was cornflakes. I was wondering how beans and cornflakes went together!! :)

    I have a friends recipe for refried beans. You have to add so much oil or lard to make them like a restaurants. It's so gross!

    Glad they turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We make those too!! I love homemade beans. They taste so much better than out of a can. Great tackle!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never made refried beans, but this looks really simple, though it does take some thought and time. Plus it's much cheaper than buying cans.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that is awesome. I just bought two cans today...I take the easy way out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would have never thought to make them. Sounds delicious and better for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL Can I tell you that I have had beans in my cupboard since I tried going vegetarian last fall but never got around to making them.

    THANK YOU! Now I think I will!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum, that sounds like a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You can also add more water (rather than fat) if you want them runnier/ mushier. (doesn't sound appetizing when I say it that way)

    Good job. We need to get you a pressure cooker if you are going to be a bean queen.

    ReplyDelete