Monday, February 8, 2010

I have always used this recipe to make my meat sauce. Lately I have been trying to use ALL fresh, or frozen ingredients, no cans. So I made my sauce with fresh tomatoes, instead of with canned like I usually do. I am not going back, it taste sooooo much better with fresh.
Here try some.
The tricky part was peeling tomatoes.
Fortunately I had just seen on Rachel Ray how to do this easily.
Pour boiling water on Tomatoes and let them sit for a few minutes.

Then cut a cross on top and it peals right off.
I used really hot water so I had a harder time, but I am sure it works with the Boiling water.
Rachel wouldn't lie!
I have attached the recipe above, but I will give you a quick over view.
I change it depending on what I have on hand.
I usually eyeball the seasoning too, but here it is.

I brown my meat on med-high, this time I used ground sirloin.
Then add your starter veggies.
Onion, garlic, and bell pepper chopped.
Use what you like, we do carrots and celery too sometimes.
Cook until meat is browned and veggies are soft.

Then I chop up some parsley about 2 or 3 tbs.
And add you spices.
I do a small palm full of
Marjoram
Basil
Oregano
Salt
Sugar(to nuetralize the acid)
Pepper...1-8 tps

Add your tomatoes, I used 5 big ones.
6 oz of tomato paste, I had to use the can for this:(
Let me know if any of you know where I can buy the tubes?
1/3 cup of water
Bring to boil.
Cover and simmer down now,HA!
I simmer it for 2 or 3 hours, but the recipe says 30 minutes.

Look at that mess!!!!
Just keeping it real.
Here is the finished product.
It was yummy!!!
For my Tackle it Tuesday join me at 5MinutesForMoms!

4 comments:

  1. That looks so good. I need to decide on dinner for tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks so good! kudos to you for using real tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks delicious!! Way to go on using all fresh ingredients too!

    Blessings!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another trick I'vd used is to freeze tomatoes on a pan (like at the end of the growing season, when you're drowning in them) and when you take them out, cut an X on them and toss them in warm/hot water. They'll peel and they're really easy to cut when frozen, since the juices don't run all over the place.

    ReplyDelete