Thursday, January 14, 2010

Spaghetti Squash Tutorial

We have squash with dinner at least twice a week.
So when I talk about all the different squashes I like with my friends, exciting conversationalist that I am:), I am amazed when the have no clue what I am talking about.
Here you go Missy.
You will make it and LOVE it!
Yes I have a freaky obsession with squash and I want you to ,too.
FYI this cooking method works with any of the round squashes.

You pick a beautiful yellow spaghetti squash.
Then you chop it in half length wise.
This is easy, or hard, depending on your knife quality.
Mine is poor so I split one side in 2, oh well it still works people.
Next you haul out the seeds using a regular old soup spoon, maybe not your finest silver.
I pour about a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil in both halves.
Season to your liking. I like plain old salt and pepper.
Sometimes I add garlic for some added spice in my life.
Allow the olive oil to soak in for a good few minutes.
Roll the oil around inside to fully cover inside of squash, and set squash facing down.
Bake in a 350 oven for about 45 minutes, or until you grab one of those suckers with some tongs and it collapses under the pressure.....at least that is how I check it.
Now here is where the spaghetti part comes in to play.
After the squash is ready to be handled, give it a good 5 minutes, put a fork in it and start shredding.
This step is very easy if it is cooked enough.
It should just come out looking like spaghetti noodles, hence the name people:)Ha!
Here is the finished product.
I like to use this as a veggie when I am making Italian food.
Then you can drizzle some meat sauce over it and add some parm, it is delicious.

13 comments:

  1. Thanks so much! It looks amazing & I can't wait to try this myself! You're so sweet & I love you very much!
    Xoxo Missy

    ReplyDelete
  2. VEry cool. I would have never guessed that is how to make squash taste good:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY GOSH! I make this all the time & my college roommates were always making fun of me. LOVE spaghetti squash :) YOU GO mama!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eeeewwwwwww! :) Maybe you can make it for Brandon sometime. I never buy squash...of any kind! <3 I bet you're surprised by that!!1

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fletcher makes a dynamite Speg squash, I know you would loive it. You'll have to swap recipes. Good going girl

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not a squash cooker....thanks for the tutorial and thanks for stopping by June Makes Six, Love your I Heart Faces entry....beautiful picture!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been trying to find a good veggie as a spaghetti noodle substitute! This is perfect!!!

    Thank you for sharing this brilliant recipe!

    -Alisa Hope

    ReplyDelete
  8. hmm i'm not sure i want a freaky obsession with squash! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting... I was wondering how one cooked a spaghetti squash. Fabulous! Not sure my man would go for it... but ah well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! We're having spaghetti squash tonight. We eat squash regularly too. Twice this week!

    Blessings!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok. Yummy. It looks scrumptious. I will be trying your recipe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for the tutorial. I'm going to try it. I love any kind of squash and this seems so easy!

    ReplyDelete