Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Remember Those Who Serve You


“This is the interpretation of it: The three branches are three days. 13 Now within three days Pharaoh will lift up your head and restore you to your place, and you will put Pharaoh’s cup in his hand according to the former manner, when you were his butler. 14 But remember me when it is well with you, and please show kindness to me; make mention of me to Pharaoh, and get me out of this house. 15 For indeed I was stolen away from the land of the Hebrews; and also I have done nothing here that they should put me into the dungeon.”Genesis 40
23 Yet the chief butler did not remember Joseph, but forgot him.Genesis 40

I read this and was appalled. How could he not remember Joseph? How could he
be so selfish? The butler was just so happy for himself that he did not remember Joseph.
I would never have forgotten Joseph........right? How often do I get something, or somewhere and not remember who helped me? I pray I will not forget those who go out of their way to serve me. It is important to serve others, but it is also important to be thankful to those that have went out of their way to serve us. Thankfully our God is a God of mercy. If we don't remember to be thankful, or ANY sin we have done, as soon as we remember we can repent and be released from the guilt of our sin. Even if it is a day, week, month, or two years later.

9 Then the chief butler spoke to Pharaoh, saying: “I remember my faults this day. 10 When Pharaoh was angry with his servants, and put me in custody in the house of the captain of the guard, both me and the chief baker, 11 we each had a dream in one night, he and I. Each of us dreamed according to the interpretation of his own dream. 12 Now there was a young Hebrew man with us there, a servant of the captain of the guard. And we told him, and he interpreted our dreams for us; to each man he interpreted according to his own dream.Genesis 41

6 comments:

  1. That is an amazing picture of Joseph! I don't think I've ever seen it before!

    And yes - it seems like "HOW could he have FORGOTTEN him!!!" But I know that I myself am guilty of forgetting things or validating people when I need to! God is an awesome parent to be so understanding of our shortcomings - and still love us anyways!!!

    Are you reading the Bible in 90days? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. He was forgotten by a man...but most importantly was NOT forgotten by His God. God always remembers & is right on time. I love the story of Joseph! One of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome! Thank you for that lady!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A gentle and beautiful reminder...
    I too appreciate this post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes...

    ...and thankfully, if I do forget, God never will!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't it awesome how God can take what we see as a hopeless situation and work it for good. I love the story of Joseph! I love what you wrote too. Thank you for opening my eyes!

    Blessings!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete