Sunday, November 29, 2009

I'm All Baked Up!


I found this cake recipe on the Duncan Hines website that was so super yummy I had to share it with ya'll.
It is called the Elvis Cake.
Can you believe it?
The website says it was Elvis' favorite cake.
Considering he was mighty hefty towards the end there, I figured it must be good!
It is a bundt cake, which makes it a winner to start off with.
I love a bundt cake.
Easy to bake and super easy to frost.
And it always comes out looking fabulous...if you let it cool long enough:)
And this was a very special cake for me because it was the first one I allowed Sinclair to help make.
Usually she will do a task or two, but this one she did the whole shabang.

Ingredients
  • 1 box Duncan Hines Classic Yellow cake mix
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 small box instant vanilla pudding
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 tablespoons cinnamon
  • 6 ounces chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 tablespoons butter

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F

  1. Grease and flour a tube cake pan or bundt cake pan.
3. Mix first 6 ingredients in a large mixing bowl and beat for 10 minutes.

4.Pour half of the mixture into a large tube pan and sprinkle with 2 teaspoons of cinnamon.

5.Pour in remainder of batter.
  1. Bake 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.





  1. To make topping/glaze: Melt the last 3 ingredients in a double boiler, then dribble over the cake.
  2. Top cooled cake. Cut after topping is set.
  3. If topping is too thick, add about 2 tablespoons of water.

I had a big mess here.
At first I followed the recipe and melted the chips,butter, and sugar.Then I poured it over the cake.
After further inspection....i.e.licking the spoon; I discovered that the sugar did not melt.
The chocolate sauce was grainy.
I scraped off all I could from the cake and melted just the butter and chips.
That was the perfect chocolate sauce.

This cake was yummy and easy, which makes it a winner in my book.
It is kinda like a Cinnabon with chocolate!
And Sinclair did a fabulous job for her first baking experience!
Check out more Tackles at 5MFM!

5 comments:

  1. oooo a bundt cake with chocolate chips!!! yummo!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute little helper you have there...and looks like a super yummy cake! Thanks for sharing the recipe, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm, bundt cakes are sooo good! It's so much more fun with little helpers too!

    Blessings!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was luky enough to have it shared with me and it was REALLY good! Very moist. Since I loved Elvis it was perfect for me. Fletcher liked it alot too. Thank you Sum and Sinclair

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmmm. Good job including your little cutie in the action! :) I love it! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete